Thursday 10 March 2011

“Slutty” Tuna Casserole

Let me start off today’s post with a definition..

Slutty, derogatory, yes … but us here at Moons Marvelous Meals have a slightly different meaning for the word. For all purposes from this point forward on my blog, slutty will be defined by the following:

            Slutty – Food that will make you fat.

Straight up, if you make this casserole, and eat a lot of it, it will make you fat.

It is not low-fat, no corners were cut on this one, and it is heavy. If you do make it, feed it to at least four people, and for the love of god, serve it with a salad.

Ok! So lets get straight to it …

Heres all the ingredients you’ll need! In no particular order

Macaroni (from bulk barn), butter, milk, cheese, olive oil, onion, garlic, peas, tuna, and panko bread crumbs. Flour isn’t pictured, but you need some of that too!

By the way, if you haven't gone to bulk barn, I suggest you make the trip asap! They are so, so cheap and in these tough times, everyone can use a little savings!

To start, and I thought that this would be the best way to start off my first step-by-step photo blog, I want to show you how to cut an onion.

Start by taking a medium onion and cut it lengthwise.

Make some cuts lengthwise

Rotate the onion 90 degrees and make a small dice

Congrats! You can now cut an onion!!

Smash, and then cut up your garlic

And melt some butter and olive oil in a pan… put on another pot to boil for the Macaroni.

Once that pot is boiling, add macaroni and cook to al dente (if you took one, and ate it, it should still have a bite to it)

When you’ve got your butter and olive oil are heated up, add in your onion and garlic, and sauté for a few minutes

Then grab some flour… I think that says ¼ cup on it? And I didn’t use it all… as I said before, I cant be held accountable for exact measurements.

Whisk in the flour to the melted butter … this is what you call a roux! (fancy!)

Cook this for a minute or two to get rid of the flour-y taste.

Then, add your milk! This was the rest of what I had… if I had more, I would have added it, as I had to add some water so that my sauce wouldn’t be too thick

Stir it all together, and I promise you, its going to get thick.

Once its reached a good thickness, dump in cheese.

Lovely, godly, amazing cheese… Everything really is better with cheese, don’t you agree?

Crack in a good amount of fresh ground black pepper, and add in some ground mustard… seriously, this is the bomb in mac-n-cheese. I usually hate all forms of mustard, but in here, it just works… trust me.

Then! Add in a can of tuna, and some frozen peas. Right out of the bag is fine, they’ll heat through in the sauce. (also, I had pics of these steps, but my server rejected them. Bad server!)

Add your macaroni, and stir it all together.

Pop this into a baking dish, and top with your bread crumbs and more grated cheese.

Bake it in a 400 degree oven for like, 15-20 minutes, just till it gets all nice and bubbly and the top gets a nice brown crust.


Oh baby ….

This is too good…


Just please, promise me you’ll feed a small army with this? With greens?

… and on a side note, does anyone want some? I’ve got WAY too much over at my place ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment